a refreshing sweet & sour, cool & spicy beverage.
- Enough rhubarb to fill a pot 2/3 of the way.
- Enough fresh clean, non-chlorinated water to cover 1' above contents.
- 2” inch length of Fresh Ginger peeled & thinly sliced.
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks , broken into pieces.
- Zest from ½ Fresh Lemon (maybe the juice too)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Sugar or sweetener of choice
- (Optional for color red berries or 1 leaf purple cabbage & 1 Cup water)
The Method :
(Note You are making a drink concentrate.)
(Do not use an aluminum pot)
- Wash & zest ½ of the lemon, set lemon & zest aside.
- Wash & chop rhubarb into about 1” and chunks place in a cooking pot, add enough water to cover about 1” above the rhubarb. Add fresh ginger & cinnamon sticks.
- Simmer covered on medium-low heat until the rhubarb starts break into strings. (about 20 to 30 min, it will vary)
- Now Add lemon zest & cloves
Note: You can also perk up the color by adding red berries to the pot at this step.
- Gently simmer, covered until rhubarb is broken down into strings.
- Once the mixture is stringy, add sweetener & stir it in.
- Add vanilla, & lemon zest, stir & simmer a just few moments until sweetener is dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to cool enough that it won't burn your tongue & taste it.
- Taste to be sure it's sour &sweet enough, remembering that you are making a drink concentrate. Add more sweetener if needed & stir it in.
- Cover & allow to cool completely.
- Pour mixture through a strainer.
- Now look at your color, sometimes if rhubarb stalks are mostly green the color of your drink may not be so appealing.
- Wash & chop 1 leaf of red cabbage, cover & simmer in 1 Cup of water for 10 minutes. Allow this to cool completely. Strain & add just enough to your beverage concentrate to get the color you want.
- Pour a little in a glass & see how much water you need to add to make the desired strength of flavor. Mine came out to be 2 parts water to 1 part juice when using ice & slightly more water when not using ice, it all depends on what you like. Enjoy!